Or keep reading to learn how my process works.
If you are sending out the same resume and cover letter you would use for business, office or sales work, you are doing it wrong!
Those other resume “how to” books don’t show you how to write an industry specific resume for crew members in film production companies or theater companies. (Mine does, though!)
You need a Resume, Website and Portfolio Review by a person with over 40 years in show business.
“Thank you for all your counseling. I have already begun researching production companies for information. I have followed your page on Facebook and encouraged some others to do the same.” ~ Matthew Daugherty
I have been working in professional theater since I was 16 years old, and that is over 40 years. I first worked on a motion picture in the Production Office in 1992, and then started working on set in 1993, in the Art Department. I am still a screenwriter and intimately connected to the business.
I’ve been a beginner, and I’ve been a department head. I have hired and fired people from film and theater jobs. I’ve written many iterations of my own resume, and I’ve read a ton of resumes and cover letters.
Most of all I’ve made stupid mistakes – but you don’t have to make the same ones!
A theater or film resume is not the same as one for any other kind of job including office or sales jobs (both industries I have also worked in). You can’t make up a “one size fits all” resume. I’ve been in the production office talking over the resumes in the pile, and I’ve heard how the employers read them over and what they look for. It’s not you bragging about how much you know or trying to convince anyone that you have more experience than you do.
But you are selling them YOU, not your skills.
One of my passions is helping people get started. I want to help you make your resume, cover letter and portfolio stand out from the crowd, and I want to help you make your website look professional.
“I just wanted to say thank you so much for your time. I absolutely love all the advice you’ve given me on my head shots, resume, and cover letter. I really think that this will be a great help for me in finding an agent and with my auditions. Thank you so much!!” ~ Kaitlin Jean Patterson
“I accepted an offer! I’m so grateful for your help. I had so many layers to work through and it would’ve taken me a lot longer if I hadn’t gone through the process with you. You certainly go above and beyond what I would’ve expected. I hope I won’t need an update, but it’s good to know it’s available.” ~ Laura Endres
What I do:
- Help you correct common formatting errors in your production resume, and understand the basics of an ATS (Applicant Tracking System) optimized resume.
- Ensure you are using the right lingo.
- Help you translate your non-industry work experience into a film/theater related skills set.
- Show you how to deconstruct a job listing, and customize your resume to that listing
- Cover letter review, and the most important thing to say on your cover letter if you can.
- Show you things to avoid
- Make sure your professional website is all it can be.
About the Books:
- Based on my recent work with clients and the articles in my blog, you will find all my suggestions to improve your resume and find work in Film and Television Production. Upcoming titles will address your cover letter, portfolio, working in theater, and how to analyze a job listing to optimize your customization.
- Includes cold calling tips and scripts.
- Ideas for how you can improve your skills and marketability.
- Ideas for finding new job leads, and start networking.
- The difference between an ATS optimized resume and your production work/crew resume
- A step-by-step process for defining great content, telling your story and clarifying your goals, to enable you to write a stand-out, individualized cover letter that shows off your skills and uniqueness
- Includes self-reflective exercises in each chapter
- Job hunting tips
- Advice about networking
- Bonus chapter: Tips for completing online job applications!
Start the process – Send me your resume
Email me (RobynLCoburn@gmail.com) your current resume which you have been using, as soon as possible, and cover letters also if you want that package. I will send you three notes for immediate improvement. If you feel they make sense to you, and you would like to move forward, then the next step is that I send you an invoice via PayPal for the deposit. Or you can click on the PayPal Buy It Now buttons below.
The non-refundable deposit is half the package total. Once we are close to finishing, I send you a PayPal invoice for the second half which payable when you find paid work, or when you can. You are welcome to pay the balance any time after receiving the documents.
Upon receipt of the deposit, I send you a new client survey that helps me understand your goals and experiences. The more comprehensive your answers, the clearer a picture I get of your needs and interests.
Typically, I work for two to three weeks with each client (or as long as needed), and then help with periodic updates after that. Usually I write 3-4 foundation resumes ready for more detailed customizing, and at least one foundation cover letter draft. The resumes generally include Production resumes for direct submission to different types of project (film, TV, Documentary, commercial – depending on interest) and an ATS optimized resume for Studio, network and production company listed jobs.
I also typically analyze 3-4 job listings, and provide written analyses, and customized resumes and cover letters for those, depending on the package you choose.
You also receive a job seeking plan with actionable steps, and cold calling script and job hunting tips (which are also featured in the first book of my Work In Production series.)
The ultimate goal is that you learn how to do this customization for yourself, although I remain available to update your resumes for one year at no extra charge.
Done-for-You Resume Service. Includes
- Comprehensive written analysis of your current resume
- Customized job hunting plan, with advice and tips
- Up to 6 versions of your resume to apply to different kinds of jobs in the entertainment industry (typically between 2 and 4 but sometimes more)
- ATS optimized version of your resume to apply to listed jobs with Networks, Studios, production companies or agencies, ready for customization
- Training in customizing for particular applications
- General support and advice
- Updates for one year
- Students: resumes for your Internship applications
Done-for-You Full Resume and Cover Letter Service. Includes all of the above, plus:
- Cover letter drafts ready for customizing with salutations and job keywords
- Multiple versions tailored to different job applications
- Bonus included website/portfolio evaluation
- Written comprehensive review and analysis of your professional website, with suggestions for improvement
- Electronic Portfolio assessment included
- Written review and analysis of your hard copy and electronic portfolio with organizational suggestions.
Enrolled Students 10% discount, taken from 2nd payment.
You will like my payment plan: Up-front non-refundable deposit. Pay the balance when you find paid work in the business, or are able.
Available for group presentations on Resume Formatting, Writing Cover Letters, and Understanding Job Listings. Email me for pricing, and group minimums.
Disclaimer: I want you to be happy, but no-one can guarantee you any particular job or overall success in your career. This business depends on so many factors both within and outside of any one job seeker’s control. You are paying for my expert opinion and suggestions, but it will be up to you to take responsibility and implement the ideas as you see fit. I am not to be held liable in any way for any results, damages or difficulties resulting from my suggestions.